In 1869, CHRISTUS Santa Rosa was founded by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. In 2019, we celebrated our 150th anniversary by establishing the 1869 Society. The 1869 Society (formerly known as Associate Giving Campaign) is exclusively for CHRISTUS Santa Rosa and Children’s Hospital Associates who make an annual personal financial gift to the Friends of CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Foundation, CHRISTUS Children's Foundation, or CHRISTUS Santa Rosa San Marcos Foundation.
Joining the 1869 Society is simple: choose a hospital and make your gift. By making your donation, you join a movement of hundreds of fellow Associates who share your passion for our healing ministry. Your gift strengthens healing that can be seen, felt, and touched within the walls of our Hospitals. Please join us.
1869 SOCIETY DONOR RECEIVES:
- 1869 Society Lapel Pin
- Annual Appreciation Event
- An Impact Report
- 1869 Society T-Shirt (Minimum of $10 per month for 12 months)
- Recognition on the 1869 Society Panel on Walls of Honor (Minimum $260 annually)
- Recognition on the Annual Giving Society Panel on Walls of Honor (Minimum $1,000 annually)
This gift will be made to CHRISTUS Children’s Foundation.
The Herff Society honors the legacy of Dr. Ferdinand Ludwig Herff, a founding physician of Santa Rosa Infirmary. Born in Darmstadt, Germany, in 1820, Dr. Herff emigrated to Texas in 1847. He helped form the Bexar County Medical Society in 1853, and in 1869, he became one of the first physicians in San Antonio to associate with Santa Rosa Infirmary.
A renowned physician, Dr. Herff is credited with performing Texas’ first appendectomy in 1878, followed by the nation’s earliest gastrostomy in 1879. He also served as the first dean of Santa Rosa School of Nursing that opened in 1903. Dr. Herff performed his last surgery at the age of 87 and died at his home on the San Antonio River in 1912. Five generations of Doctors Herff have served this community and Santa Rosa Hospital since 1850.
JOIN US TODAY!
In honor of Dr. Herff, and the physicians who contribute to our ministry each day, the Herff Society provides all physicians, active and retired, the opportunity to financially invest in CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Health System and/or CHRISTUS Children’s.
Herff Society Donor Benefits:
- Physicians who make a gift of $1000 or more will be recognized on the Herff Society panel and on the Annual Giving panel on the Wall of Honor.
- Physicians who have a cumulative giving total of $25,000 will receive special recognition in the Herff Legacy Circle.